evaluation and treatment
Emergency Eye Care
evaluation & treatment
Emergency Eye Care
The doctors at Ascension Optical are skilled at addressing and resolving many urgent eye conditions and issues. While some eye emergencies warrant an immediate trip to the emergency room, there are some urgent eye issues we are better qualified to treat, such as eye infections, foreign body removal (when you get something stuck in your eye), a lost contact lens in your eye, and more.
What is an eye emergency?
An eye emergency is any condition that requires immediate medical attention because of a sudden change in eye health or vision. Please contact us if you experience any of the following symptoms or situations:
- Eyes burning or stinging
- One eye not moving like the other
- Decreased vision or double vision
- A sudden increase in the number of eye floaters
- A sudden increase in flashes of light
- Sensitivity to light
- Getting something stuck in your eye, such as wood or metal
- Chemicals in the eye
- Blood on the white of your eye
- Discharge from your eye
- Severe itching sensation in your eye
- New or severe headaches
Steps to take during an eye emergency
To avoid making your eye issue worse, take the following steps when dealing with an eye emergency:
- If your eyes have been exposed to chemicals, flush them with water for 10-15 minutes and don’t cover the affected eye.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes if you have something in them. This will prevent further damage to your eyes. It will also reduce the spread of any germs, bacteria, or infections.
- If you have experienced an injury to the area around your eye, apply a cold compress to prevent swelling. Do so gently so as not to irritate your eye.
- Avoid driving if you are experiencing an eye emergency or problems with your vision.
Once you have seen an eye doctor for your issue, follow their guidance closely and remain consistent with any home remedies or care plans provided, such as eye drops or compresses. Treatment for eye emergencies can vary depending on the situation, but most issues resolve swiftly with proper care from a qualified eye care professional.
If you are experiencing an eye emergency, contact Ascension Optical to see us for an emergency eye examination and get well on your way to a speedy recovery.